Distinguished sociologist Erving Goffman noted that women in photographs are often portrayed in compromising or submissive situations such as having the head turned upwards to expose the neck or in a contorted stances often with light self-touching. Such poses invite the gaze of the viewer and make the subject of the photograph seem vulnerable and exposed to sexualization.
as highlighted by the image, Erving Goffman made it known that these poses were problematic because if we saw any reversal of the gender roles, we perceive it as weird or strange. this image shows a man posing in a feminine fashion… men are very rarely posing like this in professional photography.
essentially, if our instincts tell us something is strange about a person in a photograph, it is representative of the demand of gender display in advertisements.
This kind of thing is super interesting to me. Other ways women are photographed but men rarely are include;
Standing on one leg/legs crossed and weight all on one leg/leaning on someone or something - The woman is vulnerable and incapable. She literally can’t stand (exist) alone.
With their head cropped out of the image or with their eyes down - This goes back to Madonna and Child and is totally entwined with the whole subject/object problem. The (male) viewer is the active subject, the woman is the passive object. You’re allowed to look because she sure as hell isn’t going to do anything, her body exists for you. (Hello rape culture.)
Not dressed - This isn’t such a big deal if the woman is photographed alone but often photos will depict naked women and fully dressed men, often in suits. The implications of this are pretty obvious.
Cut/Bruised - Vulnerability again. To be honest I’ve seen these kinds of images more on tumblr than I have anywhere else, they don’t seem to have made it into mainstream photography quite as much. But Tumblr is super fond of headless semi-dressed women with grazed knees. I guess in some way you could agrue that these photos show the strength of women, but I personally don’t buy that. For the same reason I don’t like this theme used domestic violence ads, I think it only serves to re-victimise the women.
Obviously there are also some really great photographs of women that don’t do any of these things, and some photographs that use these themes for legitimate reasons.
Always reblog, because this is so damn provoking.
- murderxcreate reblogged this from official-mens-frights-activist
- deathraylasercrazy likes this
- sgroles reblogged this from wheretheoscarwildethingsare
- theperksofbeingchinese likes this
- princesszangiev reblogged this from slamdunkcrusaders
- princesszangiev likes this
- slamdunkcrusaders reblogged this from invidet
- youmustthinkmemad reblogged this from spuddruckers
- cadmiumg0re likes this
- adimals reblogged this from spuddruckers
- tookyopantsoff likes this
- blow-jojo-job reblogged this from spuddruckers
- spuddruckers reblogged this from invidet
- officalunitedjoe likes this
- carried-on-a-cloud reblogged this from yoostinah
- mairewolf likes this
- ohgodhesloose reblogged this from mvmarcz
- yarrum likes this
- mvmarcz reblogged this from thatnanda
- thatnanda reblogged this from invidet
- thelastdaisychain likes this
- made-of-sun-flowers reblogged this from invidet
- invidet reblogged this from moniquill
- invidet likes this
- brainfo likes this
- captainsunbeam likes this
- orianabanana reblogged this from yoostinah
- kakulseth likes this
- carried-on-a-cloud likes this
- kircheriana likes this
- yoostinah reblogged this from manueluv
- nihilistmonk reblogged this from morganlindsay97
- sugar-pineapple likes this
- completegeekery reblogged this from thebjdhotel
- completegeekery likes this
- thebjdhotel reblogged this from eurydice-in-lethe
- the-way-is-happiness reblogged this from peachlipshoneykisses
- doodlemark124 likes this
- coleopteragirl likes this
- korhwythkevrinek likes this
- callmeanactivist reblogged this from tragiccottonball
- biitumen likes this
- boiledjeans likes this
- flamingfeathers reblogged this from tragiccottonball
- tragiccottonball reblogged this from gnostic-forest
- zombiefangirls reblogged this from sicut-es-unda
- zombiefangirls likes this
- aasleepybunny reblogged this from simply-immaculate
- to-young-to-speak likes this
- milktea-bunny reblogged this from chewbaccabookerr